Saturday, 17 October 2015

Work in progress :: Sixth time lucky ...

I like knitting (although I prefer crochet). And at this time of year, for the past few years, I've dusted off my knitting needles and started work on Christmas pressies for one or both nieces.

Last year I made this dress - Meredith knitting pattern (Ravelry link). I originally printed it off when it was a free pattern on Let's Knit Magazine website. It's now available as a paid for download from the author.


Beautiful (if I do say so myself). Very intricate lace pattern at the top and bottom of the dress makes it look very girly. But it took me several unravellings and re-starts to get past that bloomin' lace section.

This time I picked a much more clean, classic and straightforward design - the River Dress by Nadia Crétin-Léchenne (Ravelry link).

Photo: Nadia Crétin-Léchenne
Or so I thought! The challenge with this pattern is the way it is written. I think more experienced knitters than me will find it really straightforward. The instructions such as "After 19 raglan increases, there's 58 stitches for the front" make it seem really simple, but raglan increases with a pattern on the front isn't that easy, or at least it isn't that easy for me and I ended up not knowing whether the number of stitches I had was right or not!

After five attempts I sat down and wrote out row by row the number of stitches for the front, back and two sleeves. I also knitted a swatch just of the pattern as that was causing me problems too.

So sixth time lucky and now it's growing nicely!


No comments:

Post a Comment