Saturday, 24 October 2015

Inspiration :: Bilbao

Each year since my other half and I have been together for our Summer holiday we've done a mini inter-rail trip - there is something magical about traversing Europe on the train.

This summer we inter-bussed (due to poor rail infrastructure) from Biarritz to San Sebastian to Bilbao and finally Santander (primarily Santillana del Mar). I've been wanting to go to Bilbao for ages to go to the Guggenheim and San Sebastian for the food - the start and end points were selected due to the price of flights but were great additions to the trip.

Whenever I travel I get inspired by what I see. I have notebooks full from a round the world trip from spending hours in museums. My other half doesn't tend to want to spend hours in museums studying crafts so I take my inspiration from other sources now such as the architecture of Bilbao.


What's not to love about the Guggenheim Bilbao building? I particularly liked this angle as it reminded me of silver beading such as this piece that I started a couple of years ago.



This floral puppy sculpture by Jeff Koons at the Guggenheim Bilbao reminded me of a patchwork toy such as Abby Glassenberg's patchwork elephant. I do love the random nature of the colours and made me want to experiment further with the beaded patchwork design that you can see a glimpse of in the header for my blog.



This building is on the opposite river bank to the Guggenheim, a bit closer to the old town. The colourful windows were beautiful and the white stone a great contrast to the bright blue cloudless sky. It got me thinking about bright and colourful crochet blankets such as the one below from According to Matt.




Opposite the entrance to the funicular railway was this mish-mash of a building. Art Deco, Moorish and modern architecture all in one space. The art deco curves reminded me of the beading on 1920s flappers dresses such as the one shown below.


Do you get inspiration for your crafts from your travels?

No comments:

Post a Comment