Thursday, 11 December 2014

Finished make :: Yarn wrapped Christmas tree


I think its very difficult to find something to do with a length of French knitting so when I saw this I thought it was a really good idea.


However, my attempts were unsuccessful. Then I saw this ...


So I thought I'd kinda try a combination of these two ideas. Here's how I made it ...

Materials

  • Wire
  • Wire cutters
  • Tape
  • Cookie cutter
  • Yarn
  • Needle
  • Thread
  • Embellishments such as beads


The first step is to make a wire frame, I used a cookie cutter as the basis for the shape.


When I was happy with the frame I snipped off any excess wire, making sure there was a bit of overlap. Secure the frame with a bit of tape. You may need to wrap tape along the whole of the bottom of the frame otherwise when you wrap the yarn round it will look uneven.


Join your yarn, the thicker the yarn the more coverage you will have.


Wrap yarn round the whole frame, its best to use a small amount that you can easily pass through your frame as you wrap it round.


When you've finished secure and weave in the ends and snip off excess yarn you could stop here if you wanted to.


Start wrapping more yarn to cover the basic frame.


Keep going until you get coverage of a section - try and wrap evenly so that no one part is bulkier than others (this is harder than it looks!)


Once you've covered the whole frame in yarn it's time to add some embellishments. I used some rectangular silver-lined beads. You can place the beads to cover any gaps of uneven wrapping.

The final step is to add a hanging thread and find somewhere perfect to hang it.





No comments:

Post a Comment