Sunday, 14 December 2014

Finished make :: Ivy Wreath


I decided the front of our house wasn't looking very Christmassy but I'm not able to compete with the scale of the decorations of one house a couple of streets away.


So I decided to make myself a wreath to hang on the handy little hook just above the little window on our door.

I didn't want anything too fancy or requiring too many materials and while sitting on my sofa with a cup of tea yesterday morning looking at the unkempt state on my garden I had a stroke of inspiration - a bit of trimming = foliage for a wreath. The only Christmassy plant in the garden is ivy so my wreath is plain but I think it looks lovely.



Here's how I made it...

Materials

  • foliage
  • scissors or secateurs
  • string

Firstly I cut a length of Ivy that gave a circle of about 25cm diameter (I'll let you do the maths as to how long that needs to be). Overlapping the ends slightly I tied these with some bakers twine (recycled from my recent Lucky Dip Club box) - you can trim the end or use it to create a hanger for your wreath.


I then cut some shorter pieces to weave into the base of the wreath. I tried to pick leafier lengths for this. Keep on weaving in pieces until you are happy with the thickness.



To finish off I cut some individual larger leaves and wove those in where there was too much twiggage.



And here's the finished wreath sitting proudly on my door in the gorgeous Peckham sunshine...



No comments:

Post a Comment