Saturday, 13 December 2014

Finished make :: Chunky knitted hat


A couple of weeks ago I came across some snuggley chunky yarn in a beautiful blue/green mixed colour. I wasn't sure what I was going to do with it but I bought enough to make something...

When the weather turned cold I went searching for my much loved hat. I last saw it when we went to Genoa, so it may well still be living it up on the Italian coast. Anyway I decided to use the chunky yarn to make myself a new hat.

I put my requirements into both Ravelry and Lion Brand's pattern search functions. After eliminating patterns that exclusively required double pointed needles (not part of my knitting repertoire yet) and those that my yarn didn't quite match in terms of gauge I went with this pattern (it's on the Lion Brand website which you need to register for, but the pattern is free.

The pattern is just a simple rib knitted using circular needles with some decreases to form the crown.
Considering this is the first hat I've made I'm reasonably happy with it - I spotted one row where I messed up the rib pattern for a few stitches, also the binding off process at the top left a bit of a sticky out ridge.

Whether I'll actually ever wear it depends on whether my boyfriend retracts his statement that it looked like I was wearing a tea cosy on my head!




No comments:

Post a Comment