Wednesday, 24 December 2014

Tutorial :: Christmas tree topper

I love my little Christmas tree that I bought for about a fiver from Poundstrecher about 7 years ago.

The only thing that I haven't ever got round to resolving is the lack of something to sit on the top of the tree. 

I always wanted this to be the final make in my self imposed Christmas crafts challenge so here it is.

Materials:

  • Pen, ruler, paper, scissors - for the template
  • Felt, pins, needle, thread, embellishments - for the star

Start off by creating your template.


Cut out two felt pieces in your template.


Start embellishing using whatever you want. My tree is red and silver so I decided my start would have silver embellishments. Work in rounds from the outside in. My first round was crouching some metallic thread near the edge.


Continue working towards the centre, I added sequins and then some glittery ribbon. 


I did debate about filling the cetnrak portions with beads, but I felt that would make the star quite heavy and it may not withstand its own weight so left it as it was as I liked the effect with the glittery ribbon as the centrepiece.

Once I'd added all the embellishments I wanted the final step was to stitch round the outside with some silver thread. I left an opening at the bottom so it can easily be slipped on and off the tree.


And here it is sitting proudly on top of my little tree...


No comments:

Post a Comment