Friday, 10 October 2014

Out and about :: The Make Escape

I can't quite remember how I first heard about The Make Escape, it was via a blog or twitter. Anyway I thought it was too good to be true, just turn up and try crafts for free. Yes free! 

I wasn't brave enough to go on my own when I first came across it but after struggling to find a day to meet a friend for lunch I suggested going to this instead on 30th September as it was relatively near where she lived and an overground train ride away for me.

So off we went, stopping first for some amazing but very filling Turkish food.

There wasn't much by way of instruction on the website but it seemed you got a ticket from the box office (for free) which then gets you into the Hackney Attic on the 5th floor.

We arrived just after 7:30 (the start time) and there were already quite a few people there. The peg loom weaving looked good but the table was full so we headed on over to the braiding table.

The first challenge was to cut out a braiding wheel such as the one here and stick it to some card (in this case two paper plates stuck together). The challenge wasn't the sticking but the cutting out with some scissors that had seen better days - note to self next time take your own scissors!

The next step was to cut out 8 pieces of yarn. The guidance was that the yarn needed to be about 3 times the length of the braid you wanted to make, so if you were after a bracelet, wrap the yarn round your wrist three times.

After tying the 8 strands of yarn together in a knot and popping that through the hole in the middle of the wheel. It was time to string the wheel. 

Concentration was required until I got the hang of the braiding action and chatting whilst braiding was difficult - I often lost my place and had to look at the folds to see where I was at. My friend did a bit of freestyle braiding through chatting too much. Once you got the rhythm the braid actually started to grow quite fast and after about an hour I had enough to make a bracelet.

Here's what it looked like...


I love the pop of pink that stands out against the greys and blues.

It was great fun to sit around, have a drink and chat to my friend (and a couple of Aussies) whilst crafting. Definitely going to go along to the next one, but will get these even more on time to get my pick of the crafts and will plan my train journey home a bit better so I don't have to run only to find I missed it.

No comments:

Post a Comment