Tuesday, 12 August 2014

Finished make :: Sorbetto tops

After making the Clémence skirt I had a break from sewing for a couple of weeks mostly because it took me that long to remember to print the Sorbetto top pattern out (with no scaling).

Judging from some of the pins on Pinterest I'm about 3 years late on the obsession with the Sorbetto top pattern by Colette patterns. But it doesn't matter - it's a great pattern and very easy to sew because the instructions are so clear.

The first one that I made I had to sew a few times because I wanted to add French seams at the shoulders and down the sides. I also had to make a couple of adaptations to make it fit around my breasts and underarm - I ended up adding another small dart to the pattern.

I discovered that my shoulder to underarm measurement is a couple of centimetres less than the standard pattern.

I learned about bias binding and made my own using this tutorial.

The fabric I used was some pre-cut cotton I bought from John Lewis £15 for 1.5 metres, it's about as thick as the cotton poplin that I used for the Clémence skirt.





And I loved the pattern so much I made a second one. This time using some cotton lawn, again from John Lewis costing about £5 per metre.

This time I tried the continuous method for making bias binding tape. This had a few more joins in it but is good if you only have small lengths of fabric left.

No comments:

Post a Comment