Monday, 11 August 2014

Finished make :: Clémence skirt

At the start of this week I posted that one of the reasons I hadn't blogged than much recently was due to catching the sewing bug.

Over the next few posts I'll share my sewing bug creations.

First up the Clémence skirt from Love At First Stitch

I skipped over the first couple of patterns in the book partly because I didn't want to faff about with a pattern. The great thing about this skirt was you created your own pattern.

I loved the photo tutorials and the explanations in the book.

The hardest part was the 'stitch in the ditch' technique to secure the waist band - at this point I wasn't very confident with my sewing machine or rather hadn't found the 'bite point' in the foot peddle to have good control over the speed.

The best thing about this pattern - learning about French seams - what a great idea to hide the raw edges.

The fabric I used was some cotton poplin I bought from John Lewis for about £6 a metre - I love the colour.

The only downside of the fabric was it has a bit of a rustle to it. I only had a standard zip rather than an invisible one so I used that. I even used the zip foot on my machine but found it tough to sew in neatly - I guess some more practice is required.

Here's the finished skirt:


Here you can see my 'stitching in the ditch' or rather you can't because it's so neat (on this bit anyway).


The only downside of this design is that I have curves and the gathering in this skirt seems to sit on my hips and flare out giving me a rather odd silhouette.

No comments:

Post a Comment